Thursday, March 2, 2017

Ward Conference Talk Feb 12, 2017

           Elder W. Craig Zwick teaches us that “Obedience brings blessings, but exact obedience brings miracles.”  Because I am looking for a miracle to successfully deliver this talk, I’ll do my very best to be exactly obedient regarding the time allotted.  For a girl from the South, a four minute talk can be challenging when just saying “hello” usually takes five minutes.
            When Jesus Christ was crucified, the signs foretold for centuries by prophets came to pass in the Americas.  Tempests, earthquakes, fires, and whirlwinds brought about the destruction of many great cities and many wicked people.  So great was the destruction that the scriptures say that the mourning, howling, and weeping occurred continually among the people.  Suddenly, amidst the darkness that blanketed their surroundings, the people who were spared from the calamities heard the voice of the Lord.  In 3 Nephi 9:14, we can read His invitation: “Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life.  Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive, and blessed are those who come unto me.”
            Because our mortal lives are fraught with so many challenges, it may sometimes seem that we are blanketed by darkness.  It may sometimes seem that the way is too narrow and that some of our most desired blessings are out of our grasp.  Yet, despite our inability to believe sometimes, Jesus Christ always provides a way for each of us.  When I was a very young child, I was adopted by good people who taught strong values despite lacking any religious affiliation.  I was baptized into the church when I was 20 years old, but my parents strongly protested my choice.  Later, I chose to marry in the temple even though my parents drove to the temple to try to talk me out of my decision.  I felt badly for bringing heartache to my mom and dad. I worried that their bitterness over my baptism and temple marriage might result in them never accepting the gospel, but I felt strongly that I should move forward in faith.  As a new convert to the church wrestling with my guilt about causing a family rift, I frequently pondered upon the purpose for my life circumstances and why I was placed in my adoptive family.  An answer came about 15 years later when my daddy, Tony died.  After his funeral, I was visiting with my dad’s sister and she said, “Do the Mormons still have Mutual on Wednesday nights?”  I replied affirmatively and asked her how she knew about the youth program.  She shared with me that when she was growing up, her next door neighbor and best friend was LDS and that she had frequently been a guest at midweek activities.  She said, “your grandpa, loved the Mormons.  He even took lessons from the missionaries.”   “Was he baptized?”, I asked. “No”, replied my aunt. “He announced one night at supper that he wanted to be baptized and your grandma said that if he got baptized by the Mormons, she would take us kids and go back to Sweetwater, Texas.  Grandpa just looked at her for a minute and said, “Well, I’m sorry that things are this way, but I can tell you this: Someday, somehow- maybe even after I die- I will be baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.” With tears in her eyes, my aunt continued, “I know your grandpa really wanted to be baptized and I thought you should know.”  Soon after that encounter, I watched with great joy as my husband performed my grandfather’s baptism by proxy.  Surely, despite insurmountable circumstances, the Lord provided a way for my grandfather.
            Because of my dad’s disapproval of my baptism and temple marriage, I have worried about whether he would ever accept the gospel.    Recently, in the temple as several of our ward members participated in family sealings, I acted as a daughter for some couples.  During this process, the sealer stopped and commented on the power of sealings and covenants.  He asked us to imagine for a moment a daughter asking a parent to please accept the gospel so that they could be together forever and how powerful that invitation would be.  At that moment, the Spirit impressed upon me that with my grandpa now baptized and my dad’s adoptive daughter beckoning for a forever family this pure-hearted man would accept the gospel.  Through the power of temple ordinances, the Lord has now provided a way for my father.  We are finding a way to become an eternal family.

            I tell you about these experiences as a reminder that our Heavenly Father loves and provides a way for each and every one of us, individually.  Jesus Christ came to this earth to give His life so that each of us might have the opportunity to return to our Heavenly Home. Ezekiel 16:8 says, “Now when I passed by thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord God, and thou becamest mine.”  He is ours because we are His.  We have a way because He is the Way.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment